Liverpool Lime Street is a main terminus station serving the city of Liverpool (UK) and a branch of the West Coast Main Line Service from London Euston, as well as for TransPenine Express trains. Opened in 1836, it is the oldest grand terminus mainline station still in use in the world.
Due to the ageing track, changes in standards, signals, rail usage and technology a £340m investment programme has already commenced, with the main bulk of the works taking place over 23 days in October 2017 and subsequent stages with completion in Summer of 2018.
The Liverpool Lime Street 4D Programme became the Winner of Synchro Software Digital Construction Awards 2017 – Specialist Project Category.
Metisplan’s very own 4D Planner, Nathan Targett, was also recognised for his efforts and hard work in pushing the boundaries of 4D and Synchro Software within rail – for this he became Finalist in the Digital Construction 4D Planner of the Year UK 2017.
Why did they approach Metisplan?
- To introduce additional capacity into LLS by providing a new platform
- They needed the ability to create a model, and influence the model and programme and planning functions
- We are experts in the articulation of 3D, combining it with the programme to present a 4D representation.
- Specialist resources and skillset, having experience in 4D visualisation
- Couldn’t identify concurrent train movement/clashes.
What problem did Metisplan solve?
- Identified Clashes in train movements
- Provided opportunities for additional work areas by relinquishing constraints on the programme.
What value did Metisplan bring?
- Allowed them to avoid time delays on site by rehearsing it in the digital environment, therefore reducing risk.
- Created efficiencies and assurance in the programme and optimised resource utilisation.
Real4D™ Benefits Included:
- Workspace Clash Detection
- Programme Logic and Validation
- Help planners to develop better plans
- Highlighted gaps in the blockade –
- Opportunities or De-Risk
- Identified Risk Areas – time allocated for a move
- Early engagement where changes are cheap to make
- Better site logistics and understanding
- 4D Model can be used for Site Introduction, Safety and Subcontractor Briefings